Tuesday, 6 September 2016

My First Attempt at Sewing with Leather

Hello!

Last night I had an hour between Great British Menu (I am a bit obsessed) and the new come back series of Cold Feet (seriously how good was it??) so thought I would have a go at sewing a bit of leather together.

Months ago I bought a leather jacket off of eBay with the sole intention of cutting it up to have a go at sewing with leather.


It cost £6 plus £2 postage (I think) and it was a Topshop size 12 long jacket with a slight rip at one of the pockets.
I got my seam ripper out and actually got a LOT of leather from it. The leather is very soft and actually quite stretchy. It definitely doesn't have as much structure as I was hoping but all ok for my first go.

I am in need of a new make up bag (exploded loose eyeshadow disaster) so thought it wouldn't be too hard.
A simple square of leather on each side and some lining and a zip

It is far from perfect but for a first attempt it isn't too bad!




The leather stretched out a bit and I have messed the zip up at the end


It is usable though! 

I used a leather needle (and snapped one on the zip!) but I think I need to learn how to attach my walking foot for next time (and there will be a next time!) to try stop the stretching.

I just need to order more zips now so can make some more! I will also say I need a little roller thingy (I saw people use them on the Sewing Bee) as it really feels like it needs pressing but obviously cannot iron it...

Anyway, quick post about something tiny.

Thanks for reading!
Kristy xxx

Monday, 5 September 2016

Cashmerette Springfield Top - The next installment

Hello!

How is your Monday? The weather is GRIM in London today! Not a great start to the week, and I seem to have all my friends in warmer climates sending me amazing pictures...holiday envy big time!

I hate not having a holiday booked, even a little get away to warmer places would be nice!

Anyway...not being on holiday means I have some sewing time...always a silver lining and all that...

My love affair with the Springfield top continues - I have had to step away from it though now, I do not really have any suitable fabrics left (OK I could use 2 from my stash but I am trying to refrain).

Nothing has changed with the pattern, all of these are french seamed, all finished with bias around necks and arms and hems!

I am headless in all these photos as was a Sunday with no plans to leave the house, I did not want to put any make up on - and I am really not up for putting photos on the internet of me without my make up on!


Left over fabric from my circle skirt - this one feels a little tight around the shoulders, I think maybe I have not cut this on the grain, I couldn't tell how I was cutting it due to using scraps so that could be the issue. Still love it

Left over elephant print from my cushions - yup I match the sofa. Added a band to make up for lack of fabric. I am not sure if the colour is for me though, will be a good holiday top (if I ever get one that is!)

Left over scraps from xmas presents last year, this is really pieced together - the springfield is brilliant for that!

This one again is from scraps, I made a Laurel in this but not sold on it anymore. This has stretched out around the arm holes slightly which is a shame, but definitely wearable!
Scrap busting at its best - this makes all these tops FREE - this is one of the reasons I wanted to learn to sew. Economical and unique!

I will update my costs page today too for an update on costs.

There will be no To Do List this week, I want another week at it to really make a dent in it!

Thanks for reading as always!
Kristy xxx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...