Pages

Wednesday 6 July 2016

Tilly and the Buttons Megan/Lilou Dress

Hello!


I loved making this dress!


Tilly and the Buttons Love at First Stitch Book



I love the empire line of the Megan dress but the neckline/no sleeves of Lilou, so I thought they must be from the same block so thought I would mash them together as they must be from the same block, and said (Jeremy Clarkson style) 'How hard can it be?'

The orange lines are the Megan bodice and the blue lines are Lilou

I am not 100% sure how I did this, I traced off Megan first as this was the length of the bodice wanted then I traced up Lilou with the side seams lined up but the height of the shoulders the same, traced them both then I cut the Lilou neckline, shoulders and boob darts but the Megan length and underboob darts and added the Megan skirt...lost yet?

I self lined this as had lots of fabric left - I only had 2 metres so this is an economical make with a sizeable scrap left over.

Think the angle of this photo is horrific




Now, I was totally in love with this dress but these photos are awful! I think its more me in the dress rather than the dresses fault to be honest but now I am not sure. It looks too big over my belly and hips, making me look bigger than I am.

I didn't really try with pattern matching either, and I don't think it matters to be honest so not worrying about it.

Next time I would like to take some width out of the straps and lower the neckline a wee bit as well as take side seams in a bit.

I decided to take some pride in the insides of this dress, the bodice is lined and all seams are bias bound - I am sure this technique has a proper name but I am not sure what it is. The skirt is also hemmed with bias.




So neat! Definitely the way forward until I can afford an overlocker.

Anyway, I loved this dress, not so much after the photos, I may try more photos at some point to try make me feel better!

Thanks for reading!
Kristy xx

2 comments:

  1. I do believe that's a Hong Kong seam finish. Beautiful insides.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, I will try my best to reply to each of you as soon as I can. I love reading other peoples blogs so please include your blog if you have one so I can be nosey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...